Sunday, September 11, 2011

Choosing Joy 9-11-11

It's impossible not to type the date above and be instantly taken back to the events of ten years ago.  The ten year anniversary of the attacks in New York and DC will be all over television and social media today so I don't want to say too much here.  However in my own voice I wanted to add this:  As we remember and grieve the enormous tragedy of ten years ago, we cannot lose sight of the fact that God has promised restoration for all of us as well as our broken and fallen world.  It is right and good to remember, but it is terribly dangerous to freak out and forget that God has promised to redeem it all.


This past week has been beautiful and difficult all at the same time.  Our family is adjusting to new routines and with that comes stress and anxiety.  For me "back to school" had been a beacon of hope for my writing.  A time when I would finally have space to let all the things that have been collecting in my mind out onto the keys of my new computer.  I found myself frustrated and disappointed, and realized that in the midst of all my thoughts about perspective and seasons I had lost a good chunk of mine.  I threw a few laundry baskets and kicked the dryer for a while.  I think that will become a whole post of its own tomorrow or so.  But for now I want to focus on all the little and big ways that joy found me this week.  


First of all, if you haven't already noticed I love food and I love to cook.  So I am unable not keep my favorite recipes to myself.  I will get the recipes out of the way first so you can skip them if you  enjoy being in the kitchen as much as I enjoy WalMart.  Here are my 2 favorites from this week.


Apple Caramel Bread Pudding (healthy!) :  This is a tasty dessert and I liked the concept but I  fiddled with this a little and used real skim milk from a cow and real eggs from a chicken.  I also added two sauteed apples in the middle of the layers of bread because I wanted an authentic apple texture.  I went easy on the caramel sauce as well and just did a small drizzle after I pulled it out of the oven.  I am really contemplating creating a breakfast bread pudding for myself this week that is whole grain and low fat.  You could make it once and eat on it all week.  The wheels are turning.... 


Perfect Pot Roast:  I used to be so anti beef that it actually came up during the sermon at our wedding.  My move to Oklahoma has changed a lot of things about me, and being surrounded by cattle ranchers was bound to have an impact on me.  I still use a good bit of ground turkey bc my Dad had serious heart disease.  However this week my friend Sarah brought me this recipe as well as the meat I would need to fix it.  Best play date gift ever!  This was the best pot roast I have ever had and the first one I ever made.  It will be made again, and probably again.  


Chimenea Night



We have a chimenea on our patio and for the first time since spring it was cool enough to sit outside and enjoy it.  Our family enjoyed a long and amazing weekend of cookouts and parties and ate hamburgers on the grill and homemade potato salad for dinner every night that weekend.  As our last party of the weekend came to a close we made an intentional decision to turn off the TV and head outside to chat and watch the sun officially set on this past summer.  If feet gross you out I am sorry for the silhouette of my talon-like toes above.  


Nerdiness:


He finally made the right adjustments to his dixie cup to achieve the air speed velocity of an unladen swallow.
This week we watched the Big Bang Theory, a lot, and then on Saturday took our kids to the Oklahoma Science Museum where we did extremely cool things like play with air tubes and show Noelle how to play hopscotch using the periodic table of elements.  So this week nerdiness really made me laugh and also illustrated how much science I forgot since my Freshman year in college.  Eek.  


My New Laptop:  This week has been so busy that I haven't even found a spare second to change the desktop image on my new computer to a syrupy sweet picture of my kids, but I am overjoyed by my new present and when the UPS guy came to the door I had my camera in hand to take a picture of him for this post, but I chickened out because I am pretty sure we can all agree that would have been a bit over the top.  


Before I close I feel compelled to post this because maybe you need it this morning as much as I do:  On the Sabbath- we ask the question: what feeds our soul? And then we do that ~ Rob Bell


Well I am off to enjoy my Sunday, we are having dinner and supper with friends whom we love so I expect it will be a great day.  

No comments: